Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Nostalgia

My baby sister (who at 16, isn’t much of a baby anymore) just sent me a plethora of photos of the fam when we were much younger. As I perused the photos, I stopped on a couple and a few thoughts came to mind. And because I didn’t have anything else to say, I’d share these thoughts with you. What do you care anyway? You don’t have to read this. You’re coming to this blog voluntarily.

Anyway, back to my thoughts. Let’s go to the photo with the kids on the couch. Which of my seven siblings was that baby? Was skin cancer even an issue in the 80s? And while I’m on that train of thought, why can’t I tan like that now? Why did Carey have to get that awesomely white blonde color? She doesn’t even know how to fix hair! Where did I get that fabulously striped shirt? When did mom think it was alright to have a faded print of a duck hanging on our walls? Where are those curtains now? Did mom make me a dress out of those like she did out of that bed sheet that one time? And did my folks not have problems with naked kids sitting on the couch?

Then I went to the family shot and laughed out loud. My mom and dad look like they should host some blonde Osmond Christmas special. My three brothers all look like they should be orphans in the play “Oliver”. Carey’s hair looks like a white slug was trying to crawl across her head and climb into her brain. And while I’m on the topic of bangs, mine are impressive. I wonder how long it took me to get them to do that - my head is tilted because they’re obviously so heavy. Why didn’t I take any time on the rest of my hair? Why am I wearing Tarzan’s loincloth around my neck?

Who knows? The eighties were a strange time in fashion history. . . Yet, now I see girls sporting fashions I wore in 7th grade. We’ve got to warn them! Quick- run outside and tell the first teenage girl you see that jelly shoes are an awful idea and that her feet will smell like cheese for months if she invests in them! Hurry! Summer is on its way!


1 comment:

Leslie said...

You are so dang funny Casey...I loved this post...I'm still laughing!