Thursday, March 20, 2008

I have passed some line somewhere

“I have passed some line, some place. I am beginning to repel people I'm trying to seduce.” That was said by Holly Hunter’s character, Jane Craig in 1987’s “Broadcast News”.

Personally, I feel both this statement and its opposite, “I’m beginning to seduce people I’m trying to repel” are apparent in my life.

When I was 23, I worked at a high school translating many of the classes into Spanish for the children of migrant workers. This small town had a rather large gang population and the gang leader was this 6’3” tall 6’3” wide Mexican senior named Oscar. He was terrifying. He almost killed my brother once. Anyway, on his graduation day, he came over and gave me this huge hug and said “Maestra will you marry me? I could take care of you.”

My response? “No thank you but please don’t kill me.” How romantic.

This past December, A man the size of a mountain and dressed like a mix between gangsta and bouncer was in the same aisle of Blockbuster as I was, perusing the comedies.

Later, in line, I noticed this small weasel of a man bugging the Mountain. Weasel was saying “Omigosh! You’re Michael Jordan’s bodyguard aren’t you?”

“Yeah.” Was all the Mountain could say before Weasel started pelting him with questions. I stood there paying for my rentals, imagining how many different ways the Mountain could disassemble Weasel in 30 seconds. But, as I was leaving, Mountain called out to me “Hey you. What’s your name?”

There were like 6 people in between us in line so I didn’t realize at first he was talking to me. I answered him and he walked past everyone else and came up to me. I was engulfed in his shadow. “Do you like to dance Casey?” I answered that I did, but that I wasn’t feeling up to it at the moment. He told me to call him and we’d go dancing together, gave me his card and left.

No, I haven’t called him but his card is still on my fridge if you’re interested.

Just recently, a 21 year old Mexican construction worker gave me a golden ring with heart on it and told me that I have his heart. I tried to tell him that our 13 year age gap was an issue. He didn’t see it that way. Then I told him I had a boyfriend. He said he wasn’t a jealous man. Shoot. I said my boyfriend was a jealous man but that didn’t seem to sway him either.

Not that any of these guys aren’t quality guys, I’m just not sure we’d have a lot to talk about after the initial introductions were over. I only know so much about gang life, basketball, and Mexican construction.

As for the men I’m trying to seduce? Ew, that sounds weird. If any of you know me, I’m sure you’ll understand. . . I’m not really the seductive type. Maybe that’s why I’m not very effective with the boys I like. I mean, I still haven’t been able to make Owen Wilson notice me.

1 comment:

Tom Quinn. said...

The two years I spent with my large Mexican lover were the greatest of my life. Sure, there were problems, but we tried to keep things simple. We had our own places, and there were always chaperone's around. But, that didn't keep me from getting hurt. Sure, I was happy, but that doesn't mean my lover couldn't inflict real pain. Prison life is tough.