Thursday, July 10, 2008

I'm a geek

Oh no. I’m a geek. A full on Batman t shirt owning, movie quoting, trivia knowing, computer using, matchy matchy geek.

I’ve always thought of myself as quirky. I mean, I’ve got a random collection of t’s, including the aforementioned Batman, Bo Duke, Kirk Cameron, Care Bears, Debbie Harry, Cedric Diggory, and Corey Haim to name a few. I just used “aforementioned” properly in a sentence. I have over a hundred pairs of shoes and like to match them to my outfits. I have too many movies, some of which I haven’t even seen. I have a Donny Osmond poster hanging on the same wall as my Morrissey and Breakfast Club posters. I’ve been to Disneyland too many times to remember and I don’t live in California. I have a Nightmare Before Christmas collection. I hate it when people dangle their participles. I have issues when people don’t wash their hair enough. I’m a stickler for using my turn signal, even when I’m alone on a road. I know what “NPC” and “RPG’s” are. I have a book on how to draw comic book characters. I usually fall for the funny best friend in movies. I had a huge crush on Owen Wilson for five years. My dog is named after Tim Burton and a wookie. I know all the words to “Puttin’ on the Ritz” and I have a Winnie the Pooh blanket here by my desk.

Ok, so now that I list all of that, I realize I’ve been a geek for a while. . . But yesterday, the realization hit me hard as I was walking to lunch. I passed a pair of guys talking. One of them whined “But I want to go to Toshi Station to pick up some power coversions!”

It took everything I have to not correct him. Inside, my mind was saying “Converters you idiot! ConverTERS! Why would Luke Skywalker ever go to Toshi Station to buy conversions?! I bet now you’re going to try and convince me that Mon Motha was dating Grand Moff Tarkin.”

Yeah. I’m a geek.

1 comment:

shoezimm said...

If it makes you feel any better I would have been fighting off the urge to correct that guy too. When I was a kid my mom finally recorded over our vhs copy of "Star Wars" because my brother and I would quote it word-for-word while it played and we literally drove her nuts.