Friday, April 11, 2008

Moniker boys

I’m a single 34 year old woman. . . I’ve gone on quite a few dates in my life and because of this, have many interesting stories. I think I’ve become the source of entertainment for many of the girls at work, most of whom are married with children and are out of the dating world. Well, because I’ve gone out with several men during my employment here, and have stories about so many others, that the ladies can’t keep track of names. So, we’ve resorted to the nickname system because it’s easier for them to remember (not to say I’m such a hussy that I’ve dated every man in the state of Utah, but maybe because the girls don’t have the best memories.) Anyway, there’s “Bagel or Danish”, “Prof. Plumb”, “Teddy Ruxpin”, “The Yapper”, Pocket-Sized Boyfriend”, “Boop”, and “Crow Bar Tongue” to name a few.

Well, today I went out with “Lawyer” for lunch and we were laughing about bad dates. I mentioned “Crow Bar Tongue” by his alias (partially because I can’t remember his real name . . . the experience was so awful that I think I’ve blocked him out. . . I just remember the experience and his braided belt a-la 1996.) And then he asked me if all my boys have nicknames and if he had one. I explained that many do, because it helps the girls at work with my stories and that his nickname was “Lawyer” because of his profession. . . Pretty self explanatory I suppose.

He decided that he wanted a more impressive moniker and sat there, thinking of different handles for himself. I have to laugh to myself at the whole experience, but it was hard to explain that he was pretty much “Lawyer” and that’s it. . . You can’t change someone’s name once the story has started!

Am I alone in this? Doesn’t everyone have strange boy stories and nicknames for each one?

1 comment:

Leslie said...

Yes...if you've been single for a while and had a lot of dates...yes! I still think of guys by what I called them behind their backs...now I don't remember their real names...but it's all good :) - Oh...and do you mind if I put a link to you on my 'public' blog?