Thursday, June 12, 2008

New York City

I just came back from a trip to New York City to visit my sister with my mom. Other than the 100 degree weather, it was fabulous. The city is crazy beautiful, full of people of every race, background, and situation.

It was interesting to see the different parts of Manhattan. We stayed in Karley’s apartment, surrounded by high rises and not too far from all the ginormous office towers.
We ate at Tao, a very chic restaurant (Karley told me they filmed a scene from “Hitch” there) and my mom started dancing to the house music being pumped through the room. Who knew my mom was so cool? She had gone shopping beforehand, buying a lot of black and white clothes to “New York” herself. . . She fit right in. In fact, she got six boyfriends at the Bagel place the next morning. The crusty old men there were flirting up a storm and giving her free cookies. They weren’t about to offer me any.

We walked to the bizarre world of Times Square, where although it was crowded and lit like a Christmas tree, it was surprisingly quiet. Everyone was walking around agape and no one was watching where they were going. The signs advertising Coke, Broadway shows, and stupid movies starring Adam Sandler and Mike Meyers illuminated the streets and captivated the crowds

SoHo was so posh, everyone advertising their D&G or Prada ensembles and greeting each other with kisses on the cheek. The beautiful people were out in full force. We almost ran into pretty Dax Shepard and his arm candy as we were window shopping. I felt very out of place in my Kohl’s shirt, Target sunglasses, and large pant size. After a stop in Chinatown to pick up a knock off D&G purse and glasses, I felt better. (sadly, the vendors in Chinatown could do nothing about my pant size). The fancy cupcake from some super famous bakery didn’t help either.

I tell you what, walking around NY really makes SLC very tiny in comparison. But, in retrospect, New York’s got nothing on us. . . They may have Saturday Night Live, the Today Show, the Beastie Boys, Sean Puffy Combs, Vince Lombardi, Jerry Seinfeld, and James Cagney but we’ve got the Osmonds! Take that, Brooklyn!




3 comments:

LilDonbro said...

You really got to see the Astronaut from Zathura?

Just reading about New York made me feel chunky. But sounds like you had a really good time. Kind of weird about the video cams on Times Square - but it was cool to look at.

Leslie said...

I love New York in June...How about you? - Sorry I couldn't help quoting that cheesy song.

I'd love to see New York in June! Good stuff!

AO said...

Oh just reading your post about New York makes me want to go back and visit. I LOVE NY!